The aerial picture shows the 'Johannapolder' around 1960. The military
object 'Werk aan de Hoofddijk' can easily be identified. The road
'Hoofddijk' which is of mediaeval origin runs from the fortification
to the north east until it reaches the 'Bunnikseweg'. Just south
of the fortification, a road streches to the south east. This is
the 'Bisschopssteeg' (alley of the bishop) of which remnants can
still be found north of the 'Leuvenlaan' and between the 'Bestuursgebouw'
of the university and the 'Cambridgelaan'. The 'Bisschopssteeg'
dates back to the 13th century. The bishop of Utrecht seemed to
have used this road to travel between the city and his home: castle
Duurstede. A little further to the south buildings can be identified
near the forked road. This is the farm 'De Uithof'. The curved
path 'Hoge bospad' is still present as is the other road (Zandlaan)
towards neighbouring village Bunnik.
The bottom left corner of the picture shows a bend in the river
'Kromme Rijn' which floats near 'De Uithof'. From there, a road
can be seen, leading to the fortification. This road, known by
the name 'military road' has been demolished almost entirely. Of
the other road, northwest of the fortification', the 'Oostbroekselaan',
a small part can still be found outside 'De Uithof', near the Fortis
office buildings of 'Rijnsweerd'.
During the 19th century, the 'Bisschopssteeg'
was known as alley of 'Toon van Scherpenzeel', who was the farmer living here
around 1840. In the 20s of last century young couples used to court
in this alley. Apparently fear of disorderly behaviour lead to
the enforcement (1924) of a local regulation stipulating that it
was forbidden to sit or lie here with someone of the opposite sex.
||The aerial picture of ten
years later shows the tremendous
impact of the building activities on this rural area.